Most people rely on a financial planner for advice on how to invest their savings. They place their trust and their future in the hands of people they believe are experts. It’s assumed that the financial planner will look at the age, income, savings amount, financial needs, and individual goals of their client to determine the best possible investment strategy with a favorable outlook for the client. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. A Florida stock market fraud attorney explains what constitutes stockbroker fraud and your legal rights.
Stockbrokers and financial planners are legally bound to exercise due care in dealing with their clients investments. If a broker fails to uphold that duty, the broker may be charged with professional negligence and stock fraud.
Some examples of fraudulent stock practices include:
- Unsuitability: This occurs when a broker pushes or coerces an investor into undesirable stocks. Most often resulting in substantial loss for the investor.
- Misrepresentation: A broker fails to disclose to their investor the risk associated with a particular stock.
- Over concentration: The broker fails to properly diversify an investor’s stock options.
- Churning: A broker performs a large amount of transactions such as selling stock with small gains in an attempt to show a profit.
- Unauthorized Trades: A broker sells or trades stocks without the knowledge or consent of the investor.
- Failure to Place an Order: A broker ignores a direct order from their client to sell or purchase a stock.
If you have lost a substantial amount of money in the stock market, you’re probably upset, worried about your future, and angry with the person you entrusted to handle your investments. That’s entirely understandable, but those emotions must come second. The first order of business should be to determine if you can get your money back and secure your earnings. If you believe you’ve been the victim of stock fraud, contact us. Our experienced attorneys are here to help and will work tirelessly to prepare your case and recover your assets.